Location: Setup – Booking Engine – Specials – New – Free Night
Setup – Booking Engine – Specials – (Select free night special from list)
Required Setup: To view this page, you have the General Manager role, or a custom role that includes the "Solution" permission.
Scope: This feature is available in all versions of Kigo.
About the Free Night Page
You can use specials in a variety of ways to increase occupancy at your properties. From here, you can create or make changes to a special free night discount. You can customize many details about the special, including whether the special appears online, any minimum stay requirements, the properties that can use the discount, effective date ranges, black-out dates, and more.
Specials apply as long as the Check-Out date falls between the "Effective" and "Expiration" dates.
Some common actions that you can performed include:
- Adding a New Fixed Discount Special.
- Changing the Status of a Special.
- Deleting a Special.
- Name: This is the name of the special. The name should provide identifying information about the special, such as "Free Night with Four-Day Stay." A clear name makes it easier for property staff to identify the specials. Kigo uses this name.
- Public Name: This is the name of the special that is visible to guests on your Kigo web site. The name should provide identifying information about the special, such as "Free Night with Four-Day Stay." A clear name makes it easier for guests to identify the specials.
- Status: This is the status of the special. Possible options include:
- Active: This means that the special is active and can be applied to bookings.
- Inactive: This means that the special is not active and cannot be applied to bookings.
- Applicability: This describes how the special is applied, and what properties are eligible to use the special. Possible options include:
- Applies to All Properties: You can apply the special at every property.
- Property-Specific: You can only apply the special at a specific list of properties.
- Coupon Code: The guest can use coupon code that you enter here to apply the special when booking a reservation on a Kigo web site. This field is optional, and only needed if you want the guest to apply the special when booking online. This coupon code does not appear for third-party booking channels.
- Effective: This is the first check-in date that the special is available. This date is required.
- Expiration: This is the latest check-out date that the special is available. This date is required.
- Cutoff Date: This is the date that the reservation booking must be made in order to qualify for the special. This date is required.
- Min Stay: This is the number of nights that the guest must stay in order to qualify for the special. This field is optional.
- Amount: This is the number of free nights that you want to include when the Min Stay requirement is met. For example, if you wanted to one free night with a four-day stay, you would enter "1" here.
- Show on Site: If selected, this special appears in your Kigo web sites. This does not affect third-party booking channels.
- Auto Apply (if applicable): If you want the special to apply automatically to applicable bookings, select this option.
- Notes: This field contains any additional internal notes providing additional detail about the special for property staff.
Black Out Dates
On this tab, you can select specific dates during the effective date range, where you do not want the special to be available. This is useful for maintaining consistent rates during special events and holidays. When you select a check box for a given date, the special does not apply on the selected date. You can only select dates between the Effective and Expiration dates that you selected on the General tab.
The Description tab displays the public-facing explanation of the special.
- Summary: This is a short description of the special. The special's Summary page on Kigo web sites uses this summary.
- Description: This is a more detailed of the special. The special's Detail page on Kigo web sites uses this description.
- Terms: This describes any additional terms required to apply the special.
From the Photos tab, you can manage any photos or marketing graphics that you want to associate with the special. These photos are displayed on the Kigo web site on the detail page for the special.
- Add an Image: Use this to upload a single image from your computer or an online location. The file size limit for an image is 5 MB. During the upload process, you can choose to automatically crop the image and convert the image to a JPEG file.
- Add Multiple Images: Use this to upload multiple images from your computer or an online location. The file size limit for each image is 5 MB. During the upload process, you can choose to automatically crop the images and convert the images to JPEG files.
- Delete All Images: Choose this to remove all uploaded images.
- Lowers taxes?: Select this check box if you want the special to also reduce associated taxes.
Adding a New Free Night Special
- From the Specials page, click New, and then choose Fixed Discount.
- At the General tab, complete the following fields:
- Enter a memorable name for the special in the Name field. Ensure that the name clearly and concisely identifies the special, since this name is used throughout Kigo. This field is required.
- Enter a memorable name for the special in the Public name field. Ensure that the name clearly and concisely identifies the special, since this name is used to identify the special on Kigo web sites. This field is required.
- Choose the Status of the special. Active is selected by default, but if you do not want the special to be applied, you can also choose Inactive. The special cannot apply to any booking unless the special is Active.
- Choose the properties that can use the special from the Applicability drop-down list. You can choose between:
- Applies to All Properties: This is the default option. If you select this, the special is available for all properties.
- Property-Specific: If you select this option, the special is only available at certain properties.
- You can also add a Coupon Code, which makes it easy for a prospective guest to apply this special when making a booking on a Kigo web site. Coupon codes should be relatively short, to make it easier for the guest to enter online. This field is optional, and may not be needed in some instances, such as specials that can only be applied by property staff in Kigo.
- Enter the first check-in date that the special is available in the Effective field.
- Enter the last check-in date that the special is available in the Expiration field.
- Enter the last date that guests can make a reservation to qualify for the special in the Cutoff Date field.
- If you selected the "Property-Specific" option from the Applicability drop-down list, you need to perform a few additional steps to select the properties. You do not need to complete these steps if you selected the "Applies to All Properties" option.
- Click Save to save the changes that you've made to the special so far.
- Click the Apply to Multiple Properties button at the top of the page.
- At the Properties/Rooms page, select the associated check box for each property where you want the special to be available.
- Click OK. You return to the Special Detail page.
- If the guest must stay a minimum number of nights in order to use the special, enter the number of nights in the Min Stay field.
- Enter the number of free nights in the Amount field. For example, if you want to provide one free night for the special, enter 1 here.
- If you want guests to select this special online using Kigo web sites, select the Show on Site check box.
- If you want this special discount to apply automatically to a booking when the special's conditions are met, select the Auto Apply (if applicable) check box.
- Enter any explanatory internal notes in the Notes section. These notes are only displayed in Kigo for property staff. This information is not displayed on Kigo web sites or third-party booking channels.
- At the Black Out Dates tab, choose specific dates when you do not want the special to apply. For example, if you do not want the special to apply on weekends, simply select the check box for each Saturday and Sunday during the range of the special. You can only choose to disable the special on dates during the effective date range.
- At the Description tab, add additional text about the special for Kigo web sites to show. If this special is not listed on Kigo web sites, meaning that the Show on Site check box on the General tab is not selected, then you do not need to complete the sections on this tab.
- Enter a short description of the special in the Summary field. This short description appears on the Specials Summary page on Kigo web sites.
- Enter a more detailed description of the special in the Description field. This information appears on the Special Detail page on Kigo web sites.
- If there are any specific requirements in order to receive the special, enter this information in the Terms field. This information appears on Kigo web sites. For example, if you offer an AARP special, you may want to include information here that the guest must present a valid AARP card at check-in.
- At the Photos tab, manage any images or graphics associated with this special. Options include:
- You can add a single image from your computer or the Internet by clicking Add an Image.
- You can add multiple images at once by clicking Add Multiple Images.
- You can delete existing images by clicking Delete All Images.
- At the Advanced tab, choose if this special lowers taxes.
- To save your changes, click Save.
Changing the Status of a Special
- From the Specials page, use the search filters to locate the special that you want to work with.
- Select the associated check box for the special.
- Select Set Status, and then choose either:
- Set Selected Records to Inactive: This deactivates the special. The special cannot be applied to reservations at the property using Kigo. The special also no longer appears in Kigo web sites. Existing bookings that use this special are not affected.
- Set Selected Records to Active: This activates the special, and makes the special available for use at the property. If you have specified that the special is available online, then the special is also available to apply to bookings using Kigo web sites once the status changes to Active.
Deleting a Special
- From the Specials page, use the search filters to locate the special that you want to delete.
- Select the associated check box for the special.
- Click More Actions, and then choose Delete. A confirmation message displays.
- Click OK to confirm and delete the special.
Additional Information/Related Topics
New/Edit Percentage of Rate Special
New/Edit Fixed Discount Special
New/Edit Replacement Nightly Rate Special